[Berlin-wireless] Alternate radio internet network

Julius Hamilton juliushamilton100 at gmail.com
Sa Mär 26 12:27:27 CET 2022

Hey,

I would like to explore creating a network protocol for small transfers of
text.

I want to create an absolute restriction that every transmission in the
network must occur in less than 0.1 second.

It could be more or less exactly like HTTP in that you request pages from
other servers but somehow in the protocol it’s enforced that the time for
any request to be served has to be under 0.1 second. This may require
people to load balance if their server is very active or to reduce the
amount of data they serve on a request or something, whatever necessary to
meet this time limit.

I think the internet as it is can support this, i.e. the network
transmission tends to be reasonably fast, it’s more like web servers that
might take a while to respond, depending on whatever backend scripts they
run.

But I’m also interested anyway in an alternative internet not dependent on
commercial infrastructure, sort of like peer to peer radio networks,
similar to modern ham radio clubs, but using that as an internet protocol.
In other words, not even being connected to the main “internet” at large.

So I guess I have two questions.

1. Are there any pre-existing technologies that come to mind that I could
model this off of or borrow from? Is there any internet protocol where
speed is so essential to the functioning of a system that they make a
request time limit mandatory? Because assuming I only need to design a
protocol, I just need to create a web server of a certain kind. People can
share the locations of their servers, exactly like a URL for HTTP, or an
email address for IMAP. As long as it conforms to the “standards” in a way
(I’m not sure how to enforce that, like a protocol in Swift or an interface
in Java), it’s a valid server - just like a REST API I believe can be
written in any language but it just respond to things like GET requests and
so on.

2. Is the Freifunk group precisely that, a DIY radio based local area
network?

When is the next meeting?

Thanks very much,
Julius