[Berlin-wireless] Presentation & Discussion Topic proposed for Freifunk Berlin meeting at c-base on Wednesday May 1

xetrov - vortex xetrov at c-base.org
Do Mai 2 09:09:23 CEST 2024

On 29/04/2024 09:30, Carsten Schiefner wrote:
> On 29.04.2024 08:14, xetrov - vortex wrote:
>>
>> sig0namectl <https://sig0namectl.networkcommons.org/> is a project [...]
>
> Thanks for the pointer, xetrov!

You're welcome!

For those that were unable to make the Berlin Freifunk monthly meet up,
the slides of the presentation are here
<https://github.com/NetworkCommons/sig0namectl/blob/master/presentations/20240501%20Freifunk%20Berlin%20May%20meeting%20Presentation.pdf>.
Further comments and questions are welcome.

On 18/04/2024 18:21, Carsten Schiefner wrote:
> I wasn’t so much after a general How-To primer, but after the specific setup for the freifunk.net domain, interested in your design goals, decisions etc., given that there might be quite a bunch of 3rd levels underneath freifunk.net, possibly even served by different NS sets.

Unfortunately nosey had little time to contribute to the slide deck
itself, but during the evening they revealed that there are
approximately 100(!) delegated zones beneath freifunk.net (including of
course berlin.freifunk.net).

Now that the parent zone freifunk.net is DNSSEC enabled, each of the
regional groups that maintain these *.freifunk.net delegations can
choose to enable DNSSEC within their namespace.

We'll continue to develop tools to make that transition easier.

For initial deployment of dynamic DNSSEC enabled updates using SIG(0)
keys, a delegated Freifunk zone beta.freifunk.net has now been
configured and deployed as a staging domain playground.

It's now live.

Curious Freifunkers are welcome and encouraged to participate in this
pilot deployment under beta.freifunk.net. All feedback is appreciated,
from questions concerning usage of the sig0namectl
<https://github.com/NetworkCommons/sig0namectl> toolset (please raise an
issue on the developing toolsets or the documentation). Pull requests
for bugfixes or further development are also welcomed.

shine brightly,

xetrov