[Berlin-wireless] fon ankuendigung

Sven Wagner cven
Mi Okt 18 21:57:13 CEST 2006

denk euch euren teil selbst ;-)
lg
	cven

Germany and Austria Have Earned Our Trust

I am very happy to say that FON Germany will announce tomorrow morning
that in Germany and Austria FON has decided to change our Fonera
(wlan/wifi social router) distribution , from a system based on credit
to a system based on trust. From tomorrow FON will not charge any money,
nor ask credit card information to inhabitants of Germany and Austria
who ask for a Fonera. The only request on FON's part is that the FONeros
simply promise to leave the Fonera on for the benefit of the fonero
community. Should somebody who receives a fonera not want to be a FONero
anymore all that we ask is that the Fonera be given out to another
FONero candidate or tu us. That´s all. We will send one per household
until supplies last.

We chose Germany and Austria after conversations with our partners at
Skype and Google. The main reasons for this decision were that of all
the countries in which we operate, German and Austrian FONeros have
shown the highest rates of connectivity after purchasing routers. They
are also the FONeros who percentage wise use FON functionality the most,
including registering their Foneras, placing themselves in our maps and
personalizing their wifi/wlan signal screens that allow other people in
the neighborhood to learn about them. These countries have also risen
from the back of the FON country lists ot the 3rd most active countries
after USA and Spain, our home. Focus has already picked up the news, but
the new system will be operational tomorrow and more details will be
disclosed tomorrow by Christiane Zu Salm and Robert Lang, who run Fon in
Germany.

After we test the FONero promise distribution system in Germany and
Austria, should this work out well, we will extend it to more countries.
The next candidate for a distribution system based on trust may be
Korea. Korean FONeros are showing the same type of commitment as Germans
and Austrians. In other countries we will continue selling the Foneras
for 5 euros or dollars plus shipping and in some cases VAT until we find
out the most reliable ways to grow FON.

The investors in FON are willing to make the investment that it takes to
grow the network, but we need to make sure that if we give away Foneras
in other countries that they end up connected as they will be in Germany
and Austria. In the meantime I take the opportunity to thank the German
and Austrian FONeros pioneers who signed up with FON early on. I also
want to thank our friends at OpenBC in Hamburg for having helped us
promote FON from the early start and our friends at Plazes, a great
German start up, who are helping us with our maps.