[Berlin-wireless] Fonera Setup (war: linuxtag freikarten)

Steven Leeman steven
Fr Jun 1 21:43:23 CEST 2007

Hi,

Thank you for the information...
The EGO mode i can not use... there is a fon promise to keep the fon_ap
working
Also i'm not for the STEALTH mode ... when you visit Belgium... you are
allowed to use your olsrd equipped pc to use my "freifunk" network :-)

But all (wannabe) volunteers here have a fonera so they would have "free"
access(Linus)...and for the rest we have a "guest" ,"guest" friends password
if necessary :-)
Our benefit currently is that there are "fon" clients written for mac osX ,
mobile windows, symbian, java, linux and windows...I can't find much olsrd
drivers for all these platforms :( also due to not using any encryption...
any device can connect to fon_ap; even the sony PSP of my neighbour...

Currently we use a "repeater" script found in the Italian Ponte2, French
Francofon or the German Freewlan addons for the FON device
(repeat existing wifi adsl routers...or repeat signal of the neighbour)
But i'm curious if a OLSRD can be used as a backbone for this...

Almost 80% will be able to add their internet connection so they can
configure "open_master" ?
and those that don't have "internet" they have to switch to open_slave?
what happens exactly in network language?
Also what is currently bridged/connected.... currently I read it as both
networks are literally seperate of each other?
* MASTER/SLAVE... it is a fixed setting? it's not like a failover cluster
that can switch to slave if it sees his internet goes down? and goes back to
master when it has a direct connection to internet?

configuration...
* I have to put all fon's on a fixed channel (choise on 3 channels)
* I have to choose thesame SSID for all fonera's addhoc Freifunk mesh?
* I have to give them all a fixed ip number... so FON_1 (Private_1) i could
give 172.16.0.1 for instance ... and SSID "IZEFON" as freifunk ssid and
channel 3

Then when installing them at peoples homes by just "powering" them up it
will find the SSID of the FON_2 accross the street that also carries SSID
"IZEFON" on channel 3 and "links" with it...

now if both are "master"... what happens with the signal?
is there still a backbone or are they both entirely stand alone?
The only thing they can do is perform a"ping" from 172.16.0.1 to
172.16.0.2? and probably only on the device itself as via the
lan/fon_ap/myplace there
is no routing to the mesh?