[Berlin-wireless] Fonera Setup (war: linuxtag freikarten)

Sven-Ola Tuecke sven-ola
Sa Jun 2 08:16:18 CEST 2007

Steven,

uuh! Lots of questions :( OK - to sort that out, here are some more
statements.

Our understanding of a mesh network includes using those cheap devices, to
form a network. You can - of course - use the precious laptops to join in.
But in the long run, a mesh only functions, if the nodes (the laptops, PCs,
the routing boxes running OLSR) are switched on for a longer period. I talk
about months not minutes. Also, you normally do not want to place the laptop
on the roof of your house. For example: we do not have OLSR for Vista
currently - and only a very small number of whiners. We all use those boxes
to connect (e.g. via DHCP and NAT). You plug in your laptop into the box
(either by ethernet or by a second Access Point) and go. That's the main
using model.

You wote, that you (and your friends) don't want to break your "FON promise".
The ff-fonera-pack is open source, and because of that you are free to do
anything you like. Some expertize required. Especially the "Chillispot needs
to fiddle with the default route thing" will be the hurdle to master here.
Also I expect some dirty policy routing trick are required. I personally do
not want to make that, because of the reasons I wrote in my last post.

Lets form an example. You have internet access via DSL. You have a fonera
connected to the DSL line, configured all and switched to "Open". You have
two friends who bought a Fonera. One has his own DSL line and one not. Your
own fonera uses 172.16.0.254/12 as meshing IP, channel 3 and
02:ca:ff:ee:ba:be as meshing BSSID.

Friend1 with DSL line: Thats easy. Just proceed as usual. He can use "Open"
or "Stealth" modes, which depends on "does he want to share for free" or not.
He switches to channel 3, configures an arbitrary ESSID (say IZEFON, but I
would prefer a more sexy name ;-) for meshing and the FON_Friend1 and
MyPlace_Friend1 as usual. He configures 172.16.0.1/12 as meshing IP. The
critical thing is the BSSID (the hex number). The meshing ESSID is not really
used - the BSSID for meshing and the channel needs to be the same on all
Meshing Foneras. Ah - and you need a Wiki page stating: "Friend1 uses
172.16.0.1/12" as well as "Steven uses 172.16.0.254/12".

Friend2 without DSL line: To keep the "Fon promise", he normally needs to buy
a DSL line. The FON-promise is based on that. But: that friend can use for
example the Steven-DSL via the tunnel setup. Setting up the tunnel stuff is
easy, and the standad Fonera should be able to run ~ 8 tunnels concurrently
(depends on memory consumption). The tunnel stuff should be able to handle
~500kbyte/sec., which in most cases matches your DSL line speed. You will be
happy if your reach that speed via Meshing some kilometres which requres a
good antenna setup also.

The first thing to do is adding "Friend2 uses 172.16.0.2/12" to the wiki page.
Friend2 configures BSSID, MeshingIP and Channel3. Friend2 also switches
to "Slave" which basically means: The device has internet via Tunnel and does
not interfere with the OLSR-HNA-Search-best-Gateway algorithm. He also
changes the private MyPlace_Friend2 IP range from 192.168.10.1/24 (which is
the default) to 192.168.11.1/24 (more on this later).

Now Steve switches to Open-Master to let Friend2 in. It needs to be a good
friend, since he sells your Inet to FON and he has access to your private IP
range (the 192.168.10.1/24 used for your own MyPlace_Steven domain). Steven
also enters this to the Freifunk-Advanced/Private IP input
field: "192.168.10.2:192.168.11.2/24" to let his friend in.

Friend2 now also enter the Freifunk-Advanced page, and enter this to
the "Private IP" input: "192.168.11.2:192.168.10.2/24". You may not that
those settings are symmetrical. Friend2 needs to define, which Master to use.
So he enters this to the "Master IP" input: "172.16.0.254:4711". Which
basically say: On Stevens fonera, there is an open tunnel endpoint on port
4711.

After restarting both Foneras, you should notice the "FON_xxx" on the Fonera
of Friend2. This proves: Setup is working. Ah - you may enter the Foners
command line or connect to MyPlace_Friend2. Then send "ping 192.168.10.1".
This proves, that both private IP ranges (the 192.168.10.1/24 and
192.168.11.1/24) are linked by routing and theres no firewalling in between.

Phew. Much blabla. I hope this will help you a bit.
// Sven-Ola