[Berlin-wireless] Freimap Eclipse / GMF port

sagiea at bgu.ac.il sagiea
Mo Aug 17 22:04:16 CEST 2009

On Wed, 2009-08-12 at 19:08 +0200, Jo-Philipp Wich wrote:

> Hey.
>
> > Another issue involves remote node interaction. I've been working on
> > implementing an SSH channel, providing an integrated node shell as well
> > as more advanced features such as issuing commands via ssh for multiple
> > selected nodes simultaneously & having graphical feedback from commands
> > such as 'traceroute' show on map. There is the question of how to
> > combine the functionality available through the the freifunk web
> > interface - currently all luci-backed interaction is available through
> > the integrated webbrowser but if future direct (ssh tunneled?) upnp
> > interaction is sought this won't be enough...
>
> Can you provide some examples where the provided interfaces are not
> sufficient? Do you interact with the web ui or with the json-rpc interface?

i didn't mean to say any interfaces are lacking - i was referring to the
use of the internal web browser to access these web ui functions. i've
yet to implement any remote interaction via json-rpc but tunneling these
calls through a secure protocol is probable the next step to automate
this type of interaction.

> Maybe we can implement some more actions in the rpc. The scope of the
> rpc-api will remain limited of course, if we implement direct command
> execution, we'd just end up with a less secure ssh look-alike :)
>
> But stuff like traceroute, ping, etc. can be implemented for sure, also
> in a way that provides machine-readable output.

what exactly do you mean by machine-readable output ?

I'm wondering which remote interaction commands would be most valuable ?
some i've come up with are importing the android eclipse sdk process
view and apply it to mesh nodes, updating through rpc / ssh, possible
extending it for netstat ouput, tracking / issuing remote routing
commands & enabling / disabling services... people with actual freimap
use experience would probable come up with a completely different list
though ; )