[Berlin-wireless] Firmware for TP-Link MR3040?

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Fr Jul 6 07:37:05 CEST 2018

Success. :)

[Holger]
>  From 1.0.1 there is also -tiny s.a.
> https://github.com/freifunk-berlin/firmware/blob/master/profiles/ar71xx-tiny.profiles

Strange, I cannot see it when I check out the v1.0.1 tag.  According to
'git diff v1.0.1  master |diffstat |grep tiny' it is new in master
compared to v1.0.1.  Anyway.  Not a big problem for me.

> Lede shows Version 1 and 2, u should check the label on ur router
> which version it is.  If it is to big, it won't fit on the router. As
> said before 4MB devices are not recommended.

I was unable to find a sensible way to figure out which version it was,
and guessed on version 1.  It seem to have worked.  I uploaded the
hedy-1.0.1-tl-mr3040-v1-factory.bin binary and got the new firmware into
the unit, configured it as a freifunk berlin node, and now I got a
portable mesh node with a battery. :)

Thank you very much for the help.

>> It was interesting to notice building would start with several of the
>> required packages missing.  I got the build going without installing
>> these on Debian: flex libfl-dev libssl-dev libssl-doc libxml-perl quilt
>> time.  Perhaps the autodetect script should be updated to check for
>> these too?
>
> Feel free to alter the script on github, help is always welcome.

The problem is that I am not sure if the packages are really needed.
Will the build make images with limited functionality if they are
missing, or are they redundant?

Also, I am unable to figure out where the script checking for features
should be changed.

Btw, I notice the imagebuilder script download binaries from the
Internet.  Do you know if this is done with cryptographic signature
checking to ensure those able to hijack TCP connections do not replace
the binaries in transit?

--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen