[Berlin-wireless] Best Practice on updating to ff_1.5.13

Sven-Ola Tuecke sven-ola
Di Jul 10 00:44:20 CEST 2007

Hello Bluse,

nice to hear that. Of course you know, this is still a testing version,
do you? Obviously, others are stumbling about the "not being able to
administer via http" thingy too. While a full blown https server needs
to much space, I may add a screenshot for putty instead, like this one:

http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/jp107/xp-remote/ssh-map/puttytun.png

You need Source Port==80 and Destination==localhost:80 for example, then
browse to http://localhost:80/ after the ssh connection is establised.
Maybe it's wise to enable http-admin for a couple of minutes after
restarting the device...

If you pre-set the "wl0_mrate" variable before updating a node (e.g
"nvram set wl0_mrate=0 commit") no default 6mbit setting will be
applied. My personal optionion about this is: we have too much bad nodes
placed on kitchen tables. Which simply not move or get a better antenna
because it works (to some extent) and degrades the performance for all
others because of the txpwr / worst-case-compat-settings. Maybe lowering
the mcast rate automatically if really no routes are found in a couple
of minutes will help...

BTW. Did you know you can update a firmware very easy using the command
line? Something like these commands (do not try to install software
concurrently and do not use without further killalls on 8Mb-RAM-Nodes):

cd /tmp
wget http://whereever/openwrt-whatever.trx
firmware-burn /tmp/openwrt-whatever.trx
[connection lost]

For the mentioned 8-Mb-RAM-Nodes (e.g. WAP54G, WRT54Gv5/6 or SE505), you
need to stop some processes first. For me this works - but you need to
ensure with the "ps" command with a real over-the-air-update:

killall httpd
killall crond
telnetd
[now connect via telnet]