[Berlin-wireless] best practice: 5 GHz Backbone with Asus wl-500g

Sven-Ola Tuecke mail2news
Fr Okt 5 13:16:26 CEST 2007

Hi Bluse,

(because you write EN I will reply ditto)

you need to blame nbd for that madwifi stuff. It basically the same version
than current Kamikaze. To my knowledge, the following patch is missing which
may (or may not) correct some funny behaviour in IBSS/Adhoc:

http://download-master.berlin.freifunk.net/sven-ola/nylon/packages/madwifi/files/sven-ola-txstophack_madwifi_0_9_4.patch

If you can transfer with 1.4 Mbyte/s over a longer period: you should be
happy. I doubt if those 125 Mhz boxes can transfer more. Just in case,
here's the full blown madwifi config I'm currently evaluating:

auto ath1
iface ath1 inet static
 address 104.0.0.61
 netmask 255.0.0.0
 broadcast 104.255.255.255
 wireless_mode ad-hoc
 wireless_essid ch13.olsr.freifunk.net
 wireless_bssid d2:ca:ff:ee:ba:be
 wireless_standard g
 wireless_channel 13
 wireless_key off
 wireless_rts off
 wireless_frag off
 # only host routes allowed, all 104.x.x.x go to ath0
 up ip r del 104.0.0.0/8 dev $IFACE
 # limit txpower somewhat
 up iwconfig $IFACE txpower 16
 # cancel doth features (tpc, dcs)
 up iwpriv $IFACE doth 0
 # switch all atheros extras (xr, ar, burst, ff, comp, turbo)
 up iwpriv $IFACE abolt 0
 # send only one beacon per second
 up iwpriv $IFACE bintval 1000
 # if master: do not repeate station broadcasts
 up iwpriv $IFACE ap_bridge 0
 # disable somewhat broken bgscan
 iwpriv $IFACE bgscan 0
 # set multicast/broadcast rate to fixed 5.5mbit
 up iwpriv $IFACE mcast_rate 5500
 # adjust ack timing
 pre-up athctrl -i wifi1 -d 2000
 madwifi_base wifi1