[Berlin-wireless] best practice: 5 GHz Backbone with Asus wl-500g

ulf kypke u.kypke
Fr Okt 5 14:24:19 CEST 2007

hi bluse, hi sven-ola, hi all
how funny, i am doing thinks like this for a week now as well.
i am running 2 systems only a cards on an asus wl500gp.
my "testparcours for happy packages" are somehow the same.
either i use two asus systems with 5ghz atheros cards and bridge them,
or i use one wrt version 1 (minipci) and a broadcom abg card as master
and the two asus as client bridges.
the maximum transferspeed i measured, was about 3mbytes between two
asus bridges, 2.5 mbayte between the broadcom and atheros (client
bridging).
to draw comparisons with the asus / broadcom setup i used soekris (x86
133mhz) and meshcubes and here the bandwidth drops under 2mbyte.
the soekris systems can handle max. about 1.8 mbyte, the meshcubes not
more then 1,5mbyte. my interpretation: atheros card needs very fast
cpus on the hostsystem and the soekris has very slow ethernet devices,
and the meshcube a slow pci bus.
all setups are based on ethernetbridging, so i was not counting
routing performances but straight throughput.
my conclusion: we need faster wifi!!!
happy hacking ulf