[Berlin-wireless] talk about Freifunk at the MANIAC Challenge Workshop

Emmanuel Baccelli Emmanuel.Baccelli
Mo Jul 22 17:01:54 CEST 2013

Hi Freifunk,

You may (or may not) have already heard about the upcoming MANIAC Challenge
(http://www.maniacchallenge.org) which takes place in conjunction with the
IETF in Berlin next weekend. The focus of the MANIAC Challenge this year is
on developing and comparatively evaluating strategies to offload
infrastructure access points via customer ad hoc forwarding using handhelds
(e.g., smartphones, tablets). The incentive for customers is discounted
monthly fees, and the incentive for operators is decreased infrastructure
costs. The idea is to demonstrate scenarios/strategies that do not degrade
user experience while offering significant mobile offloading on the
infrastructure.

The event consists in two parts. The first part is the actual
coding/experiment part, happening on the Saturday at the FU Berlin, where
you are most welcome, of course.

The second part is a half-day workshop planned at the IETF hotel in Berlin
(the Intercontinental) on Sunday morning, from 9AM until lunch time. The
workshop will focus on analyzing the different forwarding strategies for
mobile data offloading, and will feature invited talks.

We were wondering whether one of you from Freifunk would consider giving a
short talk at this occasion on Sunday morning (July 28th), about your
experience developing wireless mesh community networks, including the
aspect of Internet access via such networks. That would be very interesting
for workshop attendees in our opinion. A 15 minutes talk would be perfect
in this context. The exact timeslot for the talk is to be determined (we're
currently compiling the detailed agenda as you can see ;)

It would be great to have such a talk. Please do let me know as soon as
possible if one of you is interested in giving such a talk.

Best,

Emmanuel